Monday 21 May 2012

WAJE EXCLUSIVE: ‘FEMALE ARTISTES NEED MORE RECOGNITION’



Aituaje Aina Vivian Ebele Iruobe, popularly known as Waje, is a native of Edo state, born to the family of Mr and Mrs Iruobe in Akure, Ondo state. In an interviewNET, the single mother of one tells us how she juggles her career and motherhood, her experience as a judge on Star Quest, and of course her upcoming (and long awaited) album.

Tell us more about your debut album
My darling, finally Waje has finished working on her album, please say hallelujah! We passed 7 seas and 7 oceans but finally we have gotten to the promised land. The album has a lot of songs. I have love songs, because of the way I am. I don’t describe myself as a fantastic writer; I have to feel it to write it, so there are some songs that you’ll listen to and know these things happened to Waje. I worked with Cobhams on three songs, eLDee on two songs, and with M.I and Tee-Y Mix. I have 12 songs and 2 bonus tracks.

What was the idea behind the album art competition?
Most people concentrate more on the singers, some [focus more] on dancing and other aspect of the entertainment industry, but they forget that the graphics is a very important part.  This is because everything as an artiste has to do with branding. If for any reason, your artwork or your album artwork or whatever picture that represents you comes out and you don’t look good, it doesn’t describe who you are as an artiste.  People won’t see you how you want them to see you. The aim is for people to know that there is an aspect of this industry that is very important and cannot be ignored. And at the same time, [I'm] making it work in my favour. The competition is actually over and we gave out the cash prize already. The winners, Temi and Chris, are in the UK, so we told them to get a representative to pick up their prize.

What inspires you when writing your songs?
My strength and inspiration comes from wherever I am at particular point in time. You know sometimes, crisis brings breakthroughs and sometimes you don’t get to your breakthrough until you are broken. I have found out that some songs that I do well come out from emotions. I inspire myself with things that happen around me, or things that happen to people around me. My strength is from God.

What is your definition of good music?
A melody that is sweet; a melody that can connect with everybody at the same time. It’s not just about connecting to one set of people. It doesn’t matter what genre of music it is. It could be R&B or Fuji, but as long as it’s a classic and you know that 10 years down the line people will remember [it's ok]. People still call King Sunny Ade, (switches to pidgin) even me sef wen I wan plan marry I go call am, by God’s grace if I fit gather the money (she laughs). But the point is, it is not really about the genre, but the ability to make sure that there is perfection in what you are doing. Then you leave the rest to God. We can’t all do it right, so do the best you can do and leave the rest to God.

 If you weren’t into R&B, which other genre of music would you do?
I like to experiment a lot. I feel it is selfish to confine music to one genre. I feel that as an artiste we should have the liberty to do what we want; experiment on it. If it sounds nice, praise God; if it doesn’t, throway am for dustbin before people get to hear it. It’s like what you do as a journalist; you do entertainment, but if you are told to report on war you won’t say you can’t. You just have to spread your tentacles and get fulfilment in what you do. That is it for me.

What are the challenges female artistes encounter in the industry?
Some people have gotten it into their head that it is a male dominated industry and that there is no space for the female folks. I am not referring to myself at the moment, at times I listen to a female artiste song and I say wow!, but I wonder why the song doesn’t get more air play, and why this person isn’t invited for gigs. You see a show and you have a lot of male artistes there, but one female or so. Though it is a male dominated industry, the females also hustle; they work hard. People like Sasha, Omawumi, Tiwa Savage, they all work hard, so it would be better if we were recognized more. I’m sure you will agree with me that it is much better [now] than 5 years ago.

Tell us about your experience with other artistes in the industry.
Relationship with other artistes has been great. I am one person that has good synergy with everybody I have worked with. So many times we end up becoming good friends. I’ve worked with Banky, he is an amazing person. I have worked with Omawumi, Muna, Kel, M.I and more. My experience working with them has been great because you end up learning some things you didn’t know or getting clarification on things you weren’t too sure of. Food dey sweet, na the different method of cooking the food na im dey make some soup sweet pass, so sometimes I learn from them by just watching them do what they know how to do best.

What has changed about you since you started music?
 I am more stable financially. I have never really bothered about money. I’m the kind of person that if I have N200k today and I see something I like that is worth that amount, I will buy it. But I had to understand the way the industry is, especially since I have a label and I have management, who actually taught me how to manage and plan. So that I won’t start praying to God that I want to do a video for N2m, please o God I need a show (She laughs). Also, being the first of five I have younger ones. And as such, I have to plan for my mum too. Music actually made me more business minded and more stable.

What is the origin of the acronym WAJE?
Let me be honest with you, I have a friend, Ayo Rotimi, who was one of the people that tried to coach me when I came to Lagos. We were talking and he asked me how I’d describe myself, and then he said ‘words aren’t just enough’. It didn’t even click initially and then I said it again. That’s W.A.J.E and that is the best description. So when people say ‘Waje, describe yourself‘, I simply say words aren’t just enough. Shikena! (Laughs).

Having won some awards, how do you feel?
It is great when you win an award. It is nice when people tell you ohh! We appreciate what you are doing. This is the way we say thank you. It is amazing how people actually appreciate my music and my person, for me that tells me I am on the right path. Like God patting me on the back and saying continue to dey go where you dey go, you no get problem.

Can you relay your experience as the new judge on Star Quest?
The experience was funny. (She laughs uncontrollably) I am telling you, it was so funny. Let me tell you what Star Quest did for me, it made me sit down and say WajeGod dey for you. If you watched it on TV, [you'd have seen that] I am the kind of person that doesn’t know how to control my expressions. There were people that made me go ‘eee, are you serious?’ and at the same time there were people that really did a good job, like the young man in the group that won (Romeo). I really learnt a lot from that platform.

Do you think of yourself as a sexy person?
I don’t think that is my brand. I wish I could call myself that. Some people say I am, but for me, my appeal is my voice and music.  Maybe when I have money to do plastic surgery (She laughs), I will then consider myself as that. I am feminine, and to an extent every female is sexy in her own way.

A lot of people don’t know you are a single mother, how do you combine your career and motherhood?
Well if the world knows everything about you, isn’t that a problem? It is a problem o. (she laughs).  I have a wonderful mother; she helps me to ensure there is a balance in our lives. She [my daughter] is a big girl, she is doing all right and she loves the fact that she can say this is my mother. So I like to dwell in the euphoria of that, but at the same time, it is not easy. Sometimes you just really want to be there but you can’t. Like Christmas, I’m supposed to be with my family, but it’s one of my busiest times.

Does she understand the kind of job you do?
Yes she does, but I try to shelter her as much as possible. From all of that I would like her to grow up in the normal average-like home, regardless of who her mother is.

Tell us about your relationship with male artistes in the industry, and with Gino.
Gino na my guy and na my blood. You entertainment people sha! Soon I will soon hear I’m flying a triangle na wa o! Well, because of the way the entertainment industry is, the only thing that keeps me sane is keeping my privacy, and that consist of my private life. There are certain things I feel comfortable [talking] about, but relationship isn’t one of them, especially for the sake of whoever is involved.

Tell us about your dreams and aspirations for the next 5 years.
Haa! You and I will take picture with my Grammy awards. My record label will be fully running by then. I am opening a lingerie line for women; hopefully by September the first batches of my designs will be out. I also wish that all the good things that I want in music will come my way; I will also invest in others by signing artistes on the label and at the same time be more business minded by having the largest school in Lagos in Jesus name, amen. Most importantly, to follow the footsteps of great women like Onyeka Onwenu, Mariam Makeba, Brenda Fassie; women that were able to take the eyes of the world to our own continent. That, I hope, I will be able to achieve in 5 years.

Parting words for aspiring singers…
For upcoming or down coming o, just believe in yourself. Everything in this life has a time and season. There is a time when everyone will love you, and there is a time when they won’t. Don’t let people define who you are. Work hard and let God handle the rest. Shikena!

No comments: