Friday 30 March 2012

Elton John: 'I Could Have Ended Up Like Whitney Houston'


Elton John
It has come to this: Music legend Elton John is using music legend Whitney Houston as a cautionary tale for addiction. In an interview with "E! News," the 65-year-old told David Burtka that his proudest accomplishment in life was not his six Grammy Awards, but getting sober in 1990.
"I would not be the person I am today [if I hadn't]. I wouldn't have [son] Zachary, I wouldn't have [husband] David [Furnish]. I wouldn't have anything. I'd probably be dead," he says in the on-camera interview.
Elton continues: "I didn't want to end up like Whitney Houston, and I could have so easily ended up like Whitney Houston. It's a miracle I didn't. Because I'm sure I did as much cocaine as she ever did."
Houston was found dead in her hotel bathtub on Feb. 11; the official reason for her death has been cited as accidental drowning with cocaine present in the legendary singer's system. John has been outspoken about his alcohol and cocaine use, copping to a drug overdose in 1975 and telling Piers Morgan that he was "the biggest junkie there was."

No comments: